Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Galveston & Good Friends.... Day Two

FRIDAY, July 4th, 2008 ~ Independence Day

Our room was so dark once the electric blinds were down that it was like being in mother's womb. We slept like logs. Oh wait. Mr. Snooty was sawing logs & feeling like He was in mother's womb and I finally went to sleep like a kid at summer camp... on the porch. Only it was on a lovely chaise lounge on the porch that had a very comfy pad, blankie & pillow, so I slept to the sounds of the ocean and the steady breeze. It wasn't until around dawn that I awakened to the sound of a heliocopter, then seagulls, then people taking their morning walks. I was more than ready to greet the day, as I didn't want to waste a single moment.


Our hosts had a wonderful breakfast prepared for us consisting of coffee, orange juice, a raspberry/blackberry/strawberry compote, and the most delicious sausage filled pastries. Since I wasn't quite functioning at that early hour, I failed to take any pictures. You'll simply have to take my word for it. The breakfast was as good as it gets. Oh, that's right. My digital was broken.


The guys went down to the beach and put up the canopy and we gals decided to run into town real quick & hit the sale at Academy Sports. We all scored quite nicely. I got some especially great deals on things I haven't ever seen at our Academy Sports here.



I got a really cute madras skirt that reminded me of high school days and a few polos to go with it.




I also got a cute hoodie coverup and a cute full skirt (that I think I'll send to my daughter).






Plus, I got a khaki skort and a white top that are a new material that is SPF 30 and a very nice, light weight. Perfect for golf in triple digits.





We were there for perhaps an hour, then headed back to the beach by way of the back roads in order to avoid the traffic on the main road. By the time we got back to the house, a storm was blowing in, and they come in fast down there. We all ran to the beach and retrieved the things that could blow away, brought in all the patio cushions and then headed to our favorite burger spot, Michael's. When we arrived it was just starting to rain and by the time we got inside, it had become a torrential downpour.



The minute we walked into Michael's, a huge crowd filed in line after us. Apparently, we had perfect timing. When you first go in, you look at their menu, decide & order @ the counter. They have a great cooler full of a wide variety of beer and I decided to have a beer, so I chose the bottled Grolsch. I now have a whole new respect for beer. I drank every drop with my meal. They have the best burgers, french fries, and onion rings. Yes, I know. Redneck health food in some parts of the world. Pop another Lipitor my friends. It was worth every notch on the cholesterol belt.


The husbands decided this cute young girl at the next table with her parents had on the best T-shirt they'd ever seen, so they posed with her in a most witty fashion and she got a huge giggle out of it. She and her parents are locals and obviously accustomed to touristas, and were very nice.




We finally left when we were as full as ticks on a bulldog and drove back to the house in the rain, which had slowed to a steady sprinkle. Being the old farts that we are, we all went down for naps and when we awoke, the sun was out, so we all headed down to the beach. The guys put the canopy back up and we headed back down for a frisky game of horseshoes accompanied by cocktails and followed by a vigorous game of Yard Golf. Oh yeah baby! We were cookin'!


Then, we all went up to the house to clean up and get dinner ready. Our Louisiana friends were cooking that night, so everyone ran around and helped where they could. We feasted on light appetizers then had what our friends called Red Fish On The Half Shell, Broccolli Casserole, and a wonderful bread loaf they had made.






That night, the neighbors provided us with an outstanding fireworks display, which we Oooohed and Ahhhhed and whistled for, in appreciation. Believe me, it was good enough for our tired bunch and when it was all said and done, we called it a night.
To Be Continued Tomorrow...

14 comments:

Treasia Stepp said...

The food looks wonderful, the house is beautiful and the beach is gorgeous. now when do you go again? lol.

Daryl said...

What a wonderful time you are having and I thoroughly approve of the shopping .. you got some good stuff, girl, I adore that skirt .. if I were a little younger I would want one for myself ... and now you have me wishing for a beer w/lunch


:-Daryl

Keeper Of All Things said...

Mmmmmmm.....I'm so hungry now. Looks like you guys are having fun
Shopping
Food
and Beer
my kinda fun!!!

Anonymous said...

I've just invited myself to your next Galveston trip...I'm sure your friends will like me...really they will.

Desiree Eaglin said...

Golly! So much fun!

Anonymous said...

Snooty, you always have so much fun!
And nice going on the bargains too!


peace
#2

Mental P Mama said...

Good job on the shopping front! And the eating front. And the cocktail front. I guess what I'm saying is that you done good;)

Meg said...

Snooty, you, never, ever disappoint me sweetie! You know how to do it up right. I love the madras skirt...I have the same one...ssshh!!!

Snooty Primadona said...

I love my madras skirt so much I'm having to force myself to wear other things when all I want to do is wear that cute madras!

I'm sort of in recovery mode right now. This might take some time. Trips just seem to wear me out these days although it would probably help if I ever tried to exercise, lol... The housekeeper comes tomorrow but she doesn't do laundry or ironing and I'm trying to gets things out of the way before gets here or I might never see them again. The ironing pile is beginning to resemble The Blob...

Mamahut said...

Wow that looks like so much fun as usual. Now I'm hungry though. :)

Snooty Primadona said...

Well, now Mr. Snooty is telling me I have my days mixed up or something. Whatever. We still did all these things, even if I don't remember them in the right order, lol. I can't go back and correct everything, so let's just enjoy it the way it is, shall we?

abb said...

What a blast! Can hardly wait for tomorrow!!

QueenofPlanetHotflash said...

Fun, Fun, Fun I love the skirt for your daughter, even with Thunderstorm the beach and view looked so wonderful
Waiting for tomorrow's tale :)

Jo said...

Oh, gosh! What a perfect vacation you're having. I'm jealous!

Waiting for To Be Continued Tomorrow.... :-)

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs