Sunday, December 7, 2008

I Sneaked In A Quick Trip To Groomer's In San Antonio... My Bad?

Yes, it's true. I didn't even unpack from the Austin trip. I just threw my bags back into the car and raced off to San Antonio (just a quick 11 hours round trip) to go to Groomer's for fresh fish. I wasn't disappointed. I totally scored!


We now have fresh shrimp, fresh salmon, sushi grade tuna, flounder, and Red Snapper, to last us at least until Spring.


While in San Antonio, I stayed with my good, good friend, as always. Oddly enough, they had not been able to do their turkey dinner on Thanksgiving, so they did it the following Sunday. I arrived the next day and was richly rewarded with oodles and gobs of leftovers. Yes, I was in total Hog Heaven. Then, to add to my joy, my friend gave me some of her fabulous crawfish dressing and some of her shrimp dressing, both of which are to die for. She had made up a ton of the stuff and it was already frozen. I nearly fainted with delight. So far, I know we're having crawfish dressing for Christmas Dinner. Beyond that, it's a mystery.



So, we arose at the crack of dawn on Tuesday, since we knew that Groomer's opens at 7:00 AM. We finally arrived there by 8:00 AM and watched as our various goodies were prepared by the Groomer's staff. So, we're standing there watching through the windows and I decide to take a few pictures. At that moment, the owner turns to me and says "Are you Snooty?" I was completely blown away by his question but was able to recover in time to say "Ummm... yes." I wasn't quite sure if this was a good question or a bad one.

As it turned out, he had found my previous post about Groomer's by doing a Google search when looking for something else entirely. Then, a new Snooty Fan was born. Is that a hoot or what? He was also sweet enough to throw in a couple of flounder filets for free. Okay, I did spend $151.00 already and the flounder was an afterthought, so he caved. I do love that place!

We weren't able to get any fresh oysters because one of his best customers had been in the day before and bought something like all 4,000 of the oysters they'd had, that were already shucked. Damn! I'd like to be a guest at that party, right? I didn't feel like shucking them personally, so I passed on the oysters. This Time.




The Groomer's guy was just preparing my fresh tuna...

















Then, I had to have some fresh salmon....









Then, they carefully packed all of my goodies into what they refer to as a *cooler*, then loaded it into the car for me. We went back to my friends' house, I packed up my things, and was on the road by 10:00 AM and was home by 3:30 PM.





Lovely Red Snapper....







Lovely Heads-On Shrimp....






If you lived in West Texas you would fully understand why seafood, especially FRESH seafood, is worth an 11 hour round trip drive. Some may call me crazy but I know better....


10 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

I think I would like this post better later in the day. ;)

While I'm eating my eggwhites? Notsomuch.

I will say I am impressed with his memory, though.

brneyedgal967 said...

Holy Crapoly - did your draw hit the floor when he asked if you were Snooty? Did he want an autograph? LOL How funny that you were recognized from your blog! Please remember us little people when you make it big. *snort*

Love the fresh fish and yeah, I know what you mean. I didn't even mind de-heading shrimp for FOUR hours when hubby brought home the loot of 40# of fresh gulf shrimp.

brneyedgal967 said...

WTF - did your draw hit the floor? How about... did your jaw hit the floor.

Silly me.

Anonymous said...

You are famous.


I can say I knew you when LOL!!!!!



peace
#2

That Janie Girl said...

Awesome that he recognized you!

If vendors knew how much we influenced their business by blogging about them, they'd pay more attention!

For the second time, you've thrown a Groomers cravin' on me.

Heather Kerrigan said...

I've said it before, I'll say it again, "All hail Queen Snooty!"

I totally get the drive to get fresh seafood. While I don't think it was any Groomer's, I desperately miss our fish market in D.C. Being "land-locked" in Ohio can be a culinary bummer. I was commiserating with a friend from San Fran this weekend about missing fresh seafood. I think she's ordering Monster crabs for New Years! YUM!

scargosun said...

Umm. I think you might be responsible for the drool at my desk.

Anonymous said...

Hey Snooty, rick Groomer and here and I must say it was a delight speaking with you.

It is so neat to see people appreciate what we do and how hard my team works.

You are always welcome in Mi Seafood Casa.....

Snooty Primadona said...

Hey Rick! Thanks for stopping by. We've already had the flounder and it was as good as it gets. Groomer's is always worth the trip. Your team is amazing. Why don't I ever get more? I'm thinking this isn't going to last through January!

WomenBloom said...

Well, DUH! Where have I been? Clearly not an hour and a half down the road to the south since I've never heard of Groomer's but my mouth is watering like crazy! Sounds fantastic!

Uh oh, when you start getting famous, does that mean you have to start behaving in public? On second thought, maybe it just means you'll be famous on the front of The Star or The Enquirer :)

Love the post as always!

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs