Monday, November 23, 2009

The Race To The Holidays Begins This Week.... Here's A Great Way To Make Your Own Gorgeous Wreath


Every year I have the best laid plans for getting ready for the holidays early. I seldom have everything ready on time, but it's not because I don't try. I procrastinate too much I suppose. It's kind of like the Scarlet O'Hara Syndrome. You know. I'll worry about it tomorrow.

So, last night I was kind of looking around the internet and found the coolest wreath to make. The blog is called Thrifty Decor Chick and it is a totally wonderful blog. She is so clever it blows my mind!

Everyone complains about the size of my wreath on the front door every year. Since I'm sick of hearing the complaints, I'm going to replace that one with a new one that is a bit smaller. The big one cost me like $275.00 and I've really loved it. I hate to let it go but I really have gotten tired of the complaining. What's wrong with having to squeeze through the front door because of an over-sized wreath? Okay, fine. I understand, really. I'm seriously not going to get rid of the big one because our next home might need a big wreath. If not, I'll get rid of it then.

So, I found a totally gorgeous recipe for making a wreath, on the one decorating blog mentioned above. I have faith that with the use of my trusty glue gun and following her excellent instructions, I should be able to pull this off. However, I would like to ask all of you to please tell me if it looks bad. No one ever seems to want to tell me when something doesn't look good or right, so I'd really like to have a little feedback here, okay? Sometimes I just can't tell...


I'm going to go finish it now, take a picture, and post this. I MEAN IT WHEN I SAY I WANT THE TRUTH, PEOPLE!! HONESTLY, IF IT'S REALLY BAD THEN YOU NEED TO TELL ME. So, I'm going to cease yelling and put my trust in you, my blog friends. I truly expect you to tell me the truth and I have faith that you will. Don't let me down.

Well, I haven't quite gotten it finished but it's at least to the point where I could take a picture to show you. I thought three long sleeves (54 total ball ornaments) of unbreakable balls would be enough, but it seems I need yet another sleeve to finish.

I also intend to fill in all the gaps with small gold balls and maybe a few green tucked in here and there, but I might just stick with the gold. You can still see the wire hanger, so there is still work to be done.

Basically, all you do is reshape a wire hanger into a round or oval shape and use the hanger wire as your thread to *string* the Christmas ornaments. Then you have to use a hot glue gun to secure them into place. Easy. Peasy. Lemon. Squeezy.

13 comments:

Rob said...

I like it! I'm definitely crafting-impaired, but you made this sound easy enough even for me.

Thanks for the Thrifty Decor Chick link!

Clippy Mat said...

i like it too.
well done snoots your crafty woman you.
had to laugh at your 'inconsiderate' guests who could't squeeze thru the door past your HUGE wreath. if i'd paid that much for it i'd be making them squeeze past too.
:-)

Moms Musings said...

Nice job, I don't think I'd have the patience to thread all those ornaments.

T said...

I like it! I was actually planning to make one myself this year.

My only suggestion would be to change the color of the bow. You have a lot of gold going on - maybe a red to help make those red balls pop.

I'm heading over to Thrifty Decor Chick right now - love me some deco ideas!!

Sjn said...

Who knew you were such a crafter? Great work girl!
I love your color combo, and the gold bow, you just need to finish. I'd stick w/ this palette of all golds, browns, reds, and keep the green out.
Happy Thanksgiving my blogfriend!

Pam said...

Love it! Looks like something I could do, and I am the most fumble fingered crafter of all time. I may have to saunter over to her blog spot!

Snooty Primadona said...

Actually, I do have a red bow (almost a burgundy)... I just have to find it.

Beth Dunn said...

Love that wreath! So cute and puts me in the mood right away. BTW I LIVE for Cranes. xoxo

SC

Mental P Mama said...

I am crafty in that I know what store to go get my wreath;) Beautiful and impressive!

Daryl said...

Oh it looks great .. at my hair salon they have one just like this hanging on the door to the restroom .. I took a photo of it cause it was so pretty .. YOURS is prettier!

imom said...

I really truly love it! It would be great at my house, we hang those same kind of balls from the ceiling all around the house. It's so festive!

Connie said...

Hi Snooty! I picked up 100 non-glass red, gold & green for a wreath last week. I walked into Pier 1 today and their's have garland wrapped within (helps hide the extra wire etc.) & I'm thinking I may do the same. SMOOCH!

Snooty Primadona said...

Dang! I wish I'd known that about the garland before I started, but what a great suggestion! Thank you!

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs