Thursday, April 22, 2010

Willie Nelson Concert Tonight..... I Might Need Stilts To See

I'm not really a big fan of Willie Nelson even though I've played his golf course down at Spicewood and even had a lesson from his personal golf pro who smokes pot and drinks beer the entire lesson. That was a true *experience*.

When I first moved back to Texas in 1975, Willie appeared to be king of the Austin Music Scene and I had never heard of him. I never thought he sang that well and he certainly wasn't *hot* by any standard of measure that I was aware of. Still, Texans have a *thing* for Willie that lies deep within their hearts. I eventually crossed over to that side, as Willie has become something of a Texas Legend. The sheer fact that he's still alive and well and doing concerts is a miracle within itself. The man just keeps on ticking like a Timex. Amazing, right?

This is a video of Julio Iglesias & Johnny Carson doing a spoof on Julio & Willie's hit song "To All The Girls I've Loved Before". I saw the live show on the night this happened and it was gut splitting hilarious:

This was Willie in his hey day:


This is Willie's latest. It's quite a haunting video/song:

Click Here.

Willie Nelson is now, obviously, a man who has come to terms with his own mortality. Perhaps he has always understood that which has escaped many of us. That clear picture of our own mortality and the fragility of it.

At any rate, we're going to see ole Willie tonight (live, of course) at a place in a neighboring town 20 miles away. There are 8 of us going and we've rented a limo so that we can all get looped (or not) right along with Willie and the gang. That way, no one will get arrested trying to drive home under the influence. Yes, with age, comes a certain amount of wisdom....

I'll take pictures if I can. However, I'm only 5'3" in a sea of people over 5'5". It might take a certain amount of *elbowing" my way up to the front with promises to leave as soon as I get my pictures...

It could work. Or not....

7 comments:

scargosun said...

Take a step stool. ;) Enjoy!

Daryl said...

Have fun!!!!

Suburban Princess said...

Oh my goodness! I remember seeing Julio and Johnny singing together...your posts often take me back to a certain time in my life and have, in fact, sort of inspired a post I am working on for next week :O)

Have a great time at the concert!

I Am Woody said...

Have a fantastic time!!

Tammy said...

I've never been a big Willie fan, but I'm sure I could be convinced... That Gravedigger song is a Dave Matthews song, interesting to hear Willie's take on it!

Tammy said...

Actually I think Gravedigger, might be a Willie song that Dave sang!! I love learning new stuff about music.

limo hire said...

Well i am not interested to tell about him..

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs