Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Scathingly Brilliant Idea... I've Finally Got A Plan!

I finally had an epiphany about how to get this house ready for the market. After 26 years, I realized that every time I tried to clean out room by room, it just wasn't working successfully. Things seem to breed overnight and have multiplied by morning, resulting in hair being pulled out in distress.



I finally came to the conclusion that I just needed to get the house cleaned out and all of the junk put into one space, so that I can go through it all in one place. Being a multi-tasker (OCD), I had to find a way to make it work for me before I switched from OCD to hoarding. God forbid.

I rearranged the living room furniture and love the results. Why didn't I think of doing this before? I also cleaned out our sons room and put all of his old trophys and other mementos into marked boxes. Yay! The son is here visiting as I write, and has told me he doesn't care about any of the crap, which means I can toss it to Goodwill or Salvation Army. Sweet. Progress.



So, this is where Mr. Molasses has finally redeemed himself. He has helped me clean out every room and every closet in the house. I'm totally serious. Mr. Snoots doesn't have the patience, so I needed help. I also needed someone who was willing to take all of the goodies we didn't want anymore. Mr. Molasses came through for me. And, he'll take just about anything. We totally rocked  while purging my closets and rooms.



So, today I have a maid service called Molly Maids coming to clean. My housekeeper disappeared and I haven't heard from her in 3 months, so things were getting pretty grimy and extremely messy around here. Probably the reason I kept having feelings of total hopelessness. I simply can't take care of a 2900 square foot home by myself, in addition to taking care of the front and back yards. No. Can. Do.



Now, we are waiting for our new windows to be installed. Once those are completed, we will be ready to get the house on the market. Yes, you read it right. After 5 long years of getting the house ready, we are finally at the point where we can actually put our house on the market. Color-me-almost-happy.


Here's a peek at our old windows. Scary. Very scary.


We are finally on our way to moving out of this house Yay!


9 comments:

I Am Woody said...

Hooray for all your accomplishments!! I was thinking this morning about your friends in Galveston that were so horribly hit by the hurricane a few years ago and was wondering how they were.

Flea said...

Oh WOW. You're still in that house, huh? I remember you talking about selling so long ago. Well good for you, making a plan that will work! That's a lot of house for one person to care for.

Snooty Primadona said...

*Woody*: They had actually moved back to their house here, put it on the market, sold, and bought another house here. Two weeks after buying the new house their garage & guest house burned to the ground, along with their Land Rover.

Amazingly, they got back all the money for both of their West Galveston houses. Then, insurance paid to have their garage & guest house rebuilt here.

The hubby of this couple was our friend who was running for District Court Judge here. Unfortunately, he lost by just over 100 votes, which was a bummer. Still, they are the happiest couple we know. Some people just know how to handle life better than others.

We'll probably get our house on the market by Christmas... or perhaps summer 2013. Time will tell. There is still nothing to buy here, which is causing me a bit of stress.

;-)

Bodacious Boomer said...

I am so happy for you, yet pea green with envy. Please, please come here and work your magic. I have Limoncello fro you.:)

Mental P Mama said...

Awesome job!!!

Sjn said...

here's to progress, and to non-hoarding! Good for you for taking the first step!

Roan said...

Perhaps that dream house of yours that was on the market a couple of years ago will become available by the time you put your house on the market. Fingers crossed! The house looks wonderful! Mr. Molasses finally came through for you. Great news!

Unknown said...

Congratulations for almost completing your project! 5 years is quite a long time, but if it’s a project you really love and/or believe in, then I’m sure it was all worth it. Those old windows really are quite creepy! Maybe, if they removed the horizontal bars in the middle of the window panes, it would look a lot less creepy, haha! What do your new windows look like? And, have they been installed yet?

Marla Hinds

Snooty Primadona said...

Still waiting on those windows, LOL! Like I said, nothing happens quickly around this house...

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs