Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Full (Wolf) Moon Tonight... Watch Out For The Crazy People

I love it when a full moon has a special name and a story behind that name. Tonight we'll be viewing The Wolf Moon, which makes me laugh and think of the movie Teen Wolf that starred Michael J. Fox in the 1980's. Every time the full moon rose, he grew far too much body hair and played basketball like an animal. Literally.

According to the time-trusted Farmer's Almanac:

"• Full Wolf Moon – January Amid the cold and deep snows of midwinter, the wolf packs howled hungrily outside Indian villages. Thus, the name for January’s full Moon. Sometimes it was also referred to as the Old Moon, or the Moon After Yule. Some called it the Full Snow Moon, but most tribes applied that name to the next Moon (February)."

While this is all fun and informative, I endearingly call this monthly time warp period *When The Crazies All Drive Their Cars*. You know it's true, right? In a city that has grown faster than it can keep up with, it is magnified several times over here in the *Outback of the Oil Fields*. It's like they all come creeping out of the deep, dark cracks to simultaneously drive me totally batty in traffic.

Moving violations abound here. Texting, & talking on cell phones while in school zones, cutting off someone without signaling, (with lack of room to do so), making left hand turns out of the right lane (and vice verse), running totally red lights, taking cuts through parking lots, pulling out to the center lane to merge w/ traffic (yes, it IS illegal), among countless other transgressions committed during any given time of day here in the outback of Texas. Doesn't anyone have any sense in their heads anymore? Don't act like a human... Act like a polite and patient human

Every Wednesday our Puerto Rican housekeeper comes by way of her morning client dropping her off  (around 2:00 PM) and I get the dubious pleasure of driving her home to her apartment. I suppose it's only fair to share the limo service we are bound to if we want help around the house. I don't want it but I NEED it since I can no longer do it myself. Only it's during 5:00 PM traffic for me. With the blaring setting sun in my eyes. Today will be my first day to do so during a full moon. Oh joy. It sounds like Quadruple Jeopardy or something even harrier. It's scary and I don't like it but I shudder at the thought of Hilda driving her own car, so I digress

Although most weeks I drive her home, there is always some bonehead that attempts a daring brush with death while I'm driving in traffic, honoring me with being an up close and personal witness to his/her madness. I shudder to think what today's drive will be like. It usually takes about 40 minutes, round trip and by then my poor nerves are completely frazzled. Hopefully, today's drive might even provide a bit of comic relief, if I'm lucky. If not....

Please pray for my very soul....

Update: Nothing happened today because Hilda came at 12:45 PM and was ready to go at 4:00 PM. Just when I was ready to make my report I realized that perhaps she knows something that I don't. About the moon. Apparently, an hour earlier makes all the difference. Anyway, what a bonus to have a better drive to and fro....

2 comments:

Allan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Now I know why you are snooty. You have a Hazel! I am so impressed/jealous!

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs