Monday, May 26, 2008

In Honor of Memorial Day... A Memoriam to 3 Generations

Today I would like to honor three generations of soldiers in Mr. Snooty's family who were soldiers and fought for this country. Some were on his mother's side and some on his dad's side. The only one who didn't come home was my mother-in-law's older brother, her only sibling, who died at the tender young age of 20 years old. Obviously, I never knew him but neither did my hubby, which is sad. Sonny was killed during World War II at the Battle of the Bulge when a bomb was dropped on his Unit from a bomber. He died instantly and was awarded the Purple Heart, which we now keep. Everyone else is gone now as well, but we truly loved them more than they could have ever known. Since their graves are here locally, in 2 different cemeteries, we went last night to put flags on all the family graves and it made me start thinking about what I know of my own family.

So, I also want to honor my paternal grandfather who was in both WW I & WWII. When he was 17 years old he ran away to join the army for WWI and lied about his age, so they took him. He also fought in WWII and was very proud of his career as a soldier. Also, my maternal grandfather, who had been stationed in Honolulu when they bombed Pearl Harbor. Both of these wonderful men are gone now, but will live forever in my heart. Even though I barely knew him, I'd also like to honor my own father, who was a Marine and served in Korea. He is also gone now.

And last but not least, my two male cousins who were both killed in Viet Nam in 1968. One had been with the Army Infantry and the other had been a Green Beret. I only ever knew them as children, but they, too, will live on in my heart forever.

I suppose when The Rulers of the Universe finally decide that so many deaths are not worth going to war for; finding other ways to make peace, then perhaps there won't be any more wars. I wish that for my children and my grandchildren and those who follow. However, greed and power are normally what drives men to turn to war, so I don't forsee that ever coming to be. Especially in my lifetime.....

THANK YOU WITH ALL MY HEART & SOUL TO THE BRAVE MEN WHO HAVE GONE TO WAR TO PROTECT AND SERVE THEIR COUNTRY, IN THE PAST, THE PRESENT AND THOSE WHO WILL FIGHT IN THE FUTURE. WE CAN NEVER REPAY YOU ENOUGH FOR YOUR BRAVERY.

Now, I'll share some pictures with you.

This is Mr. Snooty's maternal Grandfather & Uncle (Purple Heart) , WWII:


This is Mr. S's Dad and 2 of his 5 brothers with their Dad (WWI), WWII:





This is a picture of Mr. S's Dad when he was in the Navy. Wasn't he gorgeous?


This was my maternal grandfather, who was in the Navy, WWII:



This is the only picture I have of my Dad that I could find. He was a Sgt. in the Marines in Korea.

9 comments:

Pam said...

Thanks for the tributes. Thank you to those who served and made the sacrifices, too. Your writing either makes me laugh hysterically or cry...keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful photos. I love all these old time photos everyone has. No one looks this good anymore.

Bless them for their service.

That Janie Girl said...

Great pix, Snooty. God bless them for their service to this country. God bless them.

brneyedgal967 said...

Love the pictures. Looks like you get your fashion sense from your Dad, quite the dapper gentleman.

Mental P Mama said...

Great post...and I love those pictures. I hope you had a nice holiday.

Anonymous said...

Don't you love the old photos. Thanks for a great post. Happy Holiday!

Daryl said...

Lovely tribute .. I hope too someday TPTB will try to find a rational way to end conflicts ..

Your dad had a wonderful smile!

:-Daryl

scargosun said...

Ahhhh men in uniform. It just does something to my heart. :) Thank you for the tribute. I like the pic of your Dad too. Isn't it funny how every generation likes to pose with their cars.

imbeingheldhostage said...

What a terrfic post and I so enjoyed these pictures!

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs