Monday, March 3, 2008

OH, WOE IS ME.....





With no warning & no prediction of snow, I rise this morning to see that it is indeed snowing. The high today is predicted (and I use that term loosely) to be 45. Yesterday, it was 80 degrees and I had to turn on the air conditioner by late afternoon. Another point LOST for the WIDIOTS (weather idiots). Damn - I wish I could get paid for NEVER DOING MY JOB! Those guys are being paid waaaay too much, no matter how little they make. I mean, COME ON PEOPLE! How difficult must it be to predict there is going to be snow within 6-8 hours? I'm just stunned by their inept abilities. Hell, they could just call someone across the state line in New Mexico and get a better prediction than the drivel they give us.


I tried several times to take a picture of the snow but the wind was blowing so hard, it just wouldn't show up with my digital shots. (There's a lot to be said for 35mm cameras, for sure.) You can just barely see the snowflakes when you look at the tree. It's actually coming down pretty heavily now, but the old digital just can't capture it.

So, after wearing capri pants & a sleeveless shirt yesterday, today I am bundled up in my warmest nightie & robe, sitting by a roaring fire that I just built. You really have to have stamina to live in West Texas. The weather is always crazy like this. However, I have a callous on the bottom of my right foot that can predict the weather better than the *WIDIOTS*.

Yesterday, the winds were so bad here (low humidity & 45 mph gusts) that a number of houses on the east side of town were on fire by way of a wildfire that had started out on the Scharbauer Ranch. Something like 5,000 acres of land burned yesterday. Although, they did state that the fire was caused by an electrical short-circuit. Local news media has informed us that the DPS and the local police department are going to arrest & prosecute anyone seen throwing a cigarette butt out their car window. As a matter of fact, the Judge who ruled on the order said that if you're just "Joe Blow" & see someone throwing a smoke out their car window, take the license plate number & turn them in. WHAT??? Has Big Brother finally made its way to West Texas? I mean, I'm all for stopping wildfires & all, but this opens up a HUGE CAN OF WORMS.


The way I see it is this: Anyone that hates or dislikes you & wants revenge of some sort can now just take down your license plate number, turn you in, and have you arrested & prosecuted. WTF? Does this sound insane to anyone else? Because I'm having a real problem with it and I don't smoke.

Perhaps I'm getting a bit carried away with this, but I don't like it when national & local governments begin to control our very lives. You know it's not going to end here. They will be like steamrollers once they get a good foot in the door of control. I don't care for it at all. If people allow them, they will take as much control of our lives as they can possibly get away with. So, if you like the postal system, just imagine what a great world it will be when the government totally takes over our lives. It will be worse than if we lived in Russia.


Ooops! Was that a rant or what? My bad? Screw It! I'm going back to bed & pulling the covers over ny head for the rest of the day. Then, I'm going to get up and make a big ole pot of Texas Chili and some cornbread and salad to go with it. Tomorrow we'll be so hot we'll probably have tuna salad. The prediction (again, I use this term loosely) for tomorrow is 70 degrees.



I just looked outside & it is still snowing (going on 3 hrs) but I see that it just isn't accumulating. Hooray for that! West Texas is a VERY SCARY PLACE when it snows. No one has a clue as to how to drive in it. But do they stay home like me? Hell no! They're all out there getting themselves in accidents & getting hurt. Luckily, I'm not only resourceful but I have some common sense. Thank gawd there's one of us out here that does.

Holy Crap! The wind just started up with a vengance and is making my front door howl as well as making the kitchen stove vents flutter quite loudly. It's rather creepy, really. I'm going back to bed now. Later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr QM texted me at Junior League to tell me that it had started to snow. We all crossed our fingers to be let out early. It was barely snow and nothing stuck. I was glad. All the mini's had school today and I did NOT want to spend the day with my own children.

Snooty Primadona said...

I'm sooo glad to be a Sustainer now. I did my 20 years hard time in the League, thank you! It did however, provide valuable time around other adults speaking *adult*. That was a real brain saver.

You can text? I just can't seem to get it, lol. Makes my kids crazy! I think my fingers are too big and my brain is too small. But, I could be wrong.

brneyedgal967 said...

Monday SUCKED for Texas and Oklahoma. I know - I was delayed in Houston for ummmm... 7 hours trying to fly home. Planes were being diverted to Midland and I was all for that... I told a lady sitting next to me I had a friend in Midland I could call up if I got stranded there. Wait, I told her, I only know her as Snooty Primadona - she'd be hard to find in a phone book. The lady looked at me like I was nuts and then moved to another open seat. Screw her.

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs