Monday, June 16, 2008

I Know You're Not My Father, But You Are The Father of My Children...

Mr. Snooty and I will have been married for 31 years this year, but for the first six years of marriage we did nothing but have fun playing golf and traveling around to see friends. We sort of wanted /planned to have children but we were young and thought we had all the time in the world. I had a total of 3 miscarriages in this those first six years and they were each a devastating blow to me. I truly thought that I might never have children and having come to terms with that, I of course, became pregnant again almost immediately. I had our son when I was 31 and our daughter when I was 33.

I always suspected that Mr. Snooty would be a devoted father, but it didn't come to be right away. I think it's often like that with husbands. Even at the birth of their children they still think they can remain the same as they always have been. How very foolish of them. Silly Rabbits. Then, over time, they realize that there are these little people they have co-created, and who deeply love them & truly need them. At this point, for some inane reason, they wake up and smell the coffee. Better late than never, no? Yes.

Once a man realizes the immortality aspects of having children, they slowly begin to change for the better. They change for the benefit of the child and in the long run, for themselves. Well, the good men do this anyway. I'm not talking about our parent's generation. I'm talking about our generation. You know, The Generation of The Age of Awareness. Yes, that would be my generation. We thought we would actually change the world and I know that there are many from our generation that failed, then eventually grew up, taking on the general characteristics of their parents (God Forbid).

However, Mr. Snooty has always been an excellent provider and has always been there for us, come what may. I've seen him grow over the years... in our relationship, as well as those relationships he has developed with our children. Even though I realize that it's more of a challenge for men than for us, he always seemed to persevere. I doubt that he will ever realize how much this has meant to me.

For both of our children he has always remained the One Steady Thing in their lives besides me, as it should be. He coached baseball, basketball, football and soccer & was the president of our soccer association. No matter what sport the kids decided to try, he was always there to support both of them and seldom ever missed a game.

So, after all this time I believe I made the right choice in a husband and eventual father of my children. Every day that I look at him & hear him on the phone with the kids, I'm certain that I made the right choice, because he has been an awesome Dad. I have no doubts that he will only get better over the years. He has been 100% devoted to them and he now knows how thankful I am as well as the reason I'm thankful. Mr. Snooty will never be traded in or up-sized. He is the constant in our lives and also our grounding wire.

I praise God every day for bringing me together with this man and I wouldn't do a thing to change our children, as they are the perfect reflection of both of us.

Happy Father's Day Honey! You will always be the shining light in my life as well as the thorn in my side occasionally. But, that's what marriage & parenthood are all about, huh? Highs & lows... ebbs & tides... good & bad. Thanks for making this life trip with me. It wouldn't have been the same without you and I'm shamefully proud of what we've accomplished. You have been the Dad to our children that I had always hoped for. You are The Man!


13 comments:

Treasia Stepp said...

what a beautiful tribute to Mr. Snooty.

Anonymous said...

I think I love Mr. Snooty too! Very sweet Liz, I'm sure he appreciates every heartfelt word.

Snooty Primadona said...

Thank you gals. I'm off for my first appointment w/ the Podiatrist to see if we can kill the evil plantar's wart. I'll be back soon...

Daryl said...

Oh that is such a wonderful heart-felt post .. Mr Snooty is indeed lucky to have YOU ... as I am sure he knows. Its clear from these photos that he is as loved by his offspring as he loves them ...

Hope all goes well with the Planters Wart removal!

:-Daryl

scargosun said...

*sniff*
That was so beautiful, Snooty! I am so happy that you have such a great guy!

Anonymous said...

I loooove this post! Will you send me some of these pics?! This was really nice :) Hope Outback was good!!!

Pam said...

Thanks for sharing...I have a feeling that the views expressed by you are also shared by Mr. Snooty toward you! We will be married 34 years this August and I wish I had written such a tribute to my husband and the father of my children. Kudos to those who stick with us over the years to bring stability to our offspring, and sometimes to us. Beautiful post.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post my dear! I love hearing about fathers that grow into the role. Because who among us comes fully equiped at the beginning of the job?

Thanks for sharing.

Can't wait to hear about the plantar foot!

QueenofPlanetHotflash said...

AAAwwww Mr. Snooty is the man! Great Blog thanks for sharing him with us :)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute!

brneyedgal967 said...

I heart Mr. Snooty also. Give him a hug for me.

Anonymous said...

Happy belated Father's day Mr Snooty!!!!!!

elizasmom said...

Just catching up on comments — I loved this post and the pictures. Yay, Mr. Snooty!

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs