Friday, March 13, 2009

See.... I Knew This Would Happen, But I'm Not Complaining

Just so that everyone who was jealous of our 85 degree weather feels better, I want you to know that it has been raining and 32 degrees with a wind chill factor of 28 degrees. Therefore everything is covered in ice. My Wisteria that's in full bloom, my Colorado Columbines, even the Oleanders, all covered in a thick layer of ice. It was the same in San Antonio, so we wound up doing nothing but sitting around my friend's house talking, watching TV and drinking, which I could have done here at home.

Don't get me wrong. I love going to see my friend Sully. However, it was different this time. Her *House Man* Charles passed away last month. She had a lovely service for him, had him cremated, and now he resides in a lovely box in a glass cupboard in her home. Yes, I know it's strange, but this man worked for her family for forever. I think it was like 50 years, so I'm guessing he was something like 75 years old, although he never really looked that old to me. So, there was no one to cook for us and wait on us hand & foot. I understand why she misses Charles because I miss him too.

So, after being waited on hand and foot by Charles for her entire life, poor Sully is lost, as is her hubby John. When we all got hungry, she got on the phone and ordered some *gut bomb* cheese burgers, big greasy fries, and milk shakes. They were totally delicioso, by the way. Then, she called a taxi to go get them and bring them to us. Yes, she did, I swear. This is how they handle carryout meals during nasty weather now. I have no idea how much all that cost, but I'm thinking S & J are going to need to adjust to a life without Charles. Something tells me that it's going to take some time.

We had planned on doing all sorts of things while I was there, but the freezing rain forbade us to get outside. I wanted to go see the new Tiger Cub that the San Antonio Zoo just recently acquired. Nope. We also talked about going to The Botanical Gardens again, because it's one of the loveliest places on earth and I adore going there. Not in the freezing rain. Nope. We also discussed going down to The River Walk to eat and have cocktails. It didn't happen. Who wants to eat outside in the rain when it's 36 degrees? Let me just say that The River Walk is no fun if you have to eat inside. You might as well be in Muleshoe, Texas.

So, we decided that I should come back in a few weeks, when the weather is nicer. There are so many fun things to do in San Antonio, but most of them involve being outside. However, San Antonio needed the rain very badly, as they have been on water rationing of late. Apparently, if a neighbor sees you watering on a day that isn't *your day* and calls the police, you can get a whopper of a citation. I will say that Sully has been known to water at 3:00 in the morning, while wearing all black, the naughty girl. So yes, they need the rain. And yes, I really drove 5 hours there and 5 hours back, for a visit with my friend, which could have more easily been done over the phone. Since I hate talking on the phone, I drove. Some people hate to drive, but not I. Getting out on the open road has always been good therapy for me.


I did take a couple of pictures of their new puppy, Sadie, whom I fell head over heels in love with. Look at these eyes. She is the sweetest little girl and loves to get up on the sofa and cuddle with you, and she is their child.




When I got home, I was thrilled to find these goodies waiting for me. I felt like it was Christmas or something, because I'd forgotten I ordered these before I left. I FINALLY get to read the Vampire (Edward!) books. I'll get the third one after I've read these.

Lastly, if you are as crazy about musicals and Broadway as I am, then you're going to love this. They have made a new movie about the revival of 'A Chorus Line' on Broadway and it looks to be fantastic. It's called 'Every Little Step' and I can hardly wait for it to come out at theatres. You can watch the movie trailer here:

http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/451649/Every-Little-Step/trailers

I once tried out for 'A Chorus Line' when it was being staged here at our community theatre. I wanted to be in that show so badly and was broken hearted when I didn't get a part. Seriously, I cried for days. I later found out they wanted to cast me in the show but didn't because I had two toddlers at the time. They were worried it would interfere with my performances, which was probably right. Still, I so should have been in that show! It would be the last time I ever tried out for a show as well as the last time I was young and could handle doing a show like that. Afterwards, I was on many casting committees for other shows, and I cranked out the theatre's monthly newsletter for several years. But, I never tried out for another show.

18 comments:

Sjn said...

I just watched the trailer and can't wait! I saw A Chorus Line on Broadway years ago, when we lived up on LI. Love it!
Glad to have you back. Did you read about my perfect day?

Unknown said...

You are such a wonderful friend and I am so happy to know someone like you.

I SO want to order something to go and call a cab to go pick it up, but Hard Working Man said, NO...

I am glad you had a nice trip but even if it was rainy...

Anonymous said...

Snooty...I was wondering about an hour ago why I was so cold. Then I realized its because two days ago, I had to have the AC on, and I had never switched it back over to heat!

So sad about Charles. Ive often fantasized, for lack of a better word, about having the sort of "help" people had generations ago--the kind that stayed with you forever and was almost like part of the family.

Rickrack and Pompoms said...

Wow that is a lot of driving for a rainy visit. But I too like to be on the open road and visit with a good friend. I am going to New York in a few weeks, any tips on great Broadway show, I have seen Mary Poppins ,Mama Mia and some older ones. I heard Wicked was good have you seen that one? Have a great weekend, it is 32 and rainy here now so I fell your pain

Snooty Primadona said...

SJN: I saw your post & am a jealous wreck!

Marlene: Ordering a taxi to pick up carryout is the most decadent thing ever! In my life anyway.

V.V.: I've done that same thing & thought "Gee, I've never been so cool." I mistakenly thought hot flashes were over for me until I discovered my faux pas.

R&P: I left a comment on your blog, but you must see Wicked! It's a wonderful show & even Mr. Snoots liked it & he does not like anything Broadway or musical. I think RENT is still on too.

Shawn said...

Wow, sorry about the rainy trip and sorry that Charles is gone. It does sound like your friends have some adjusting to do. It sounds like they had a special relationship.

I think you and I and Tammy and my mom should all get together. We could meet up at Tammy's..that's kinda in the middle'ish isn't it?

Moms Musings said...

Glad you had a good and safe trip. I just love getting out on the open road and going. I can't imagine getting a cab to pick up food. When I lived in NY, they delivered.

Sjn said...

I saw Wicked at the Fox in Atlanta, it was great! Our Glenda (actress name ?)had quite a voice.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't imagine sending a cab for food. Likely it would cost a fortune here. I'd probably just cook!

That puppy is adorable!

Treasia Stepp said...

Sorry the weather didn't cooperate for you on your trip. that royally sucks.

I absolutely cannot imagine ordering take out and having a taxi go and pick it up for me. That one takes the cake. LOL. I would venture to guess they DO have a lot of things to get used to now.

You will love the Twilight series. And by the time number four gets read you'll be wondering what the heck you'll read next.

Flea said...

You know, if I can do karaoke, you can audition. You can. Really!

You're nowhere near Dallas, are you? I'll be passing through there the end of next week and will need to break for lunch.

Anonymous said...

A taxi to get the take out? Seriously I would have never thought of that. They do need to adjust...wow. It's going to be hard.

Snooty Primadona said...

Yeah. You know, I'd feel sorry for Sully & John if it weren't so comical. They are like 2 little kids without Charles. For everything, they look at each other & say "What should we do?". She thinks she will find someone new, but I have my doubts & that worries me for them because they could so easily be taken advantage of.

numberonesistah: I'm in! Just let me know. I think I have enough SW Airlines Rapid Reward points for a free flight, which would be nice. Or, I might drive, but last time I drove up to OK I had to drive through Tornado Alley during tornado season, which was scary as hell.

SJN: When we saw Wicked in L.A. we were lucky enough to see it with Kristen Chenoweth, who opened Wicked on Broadway. She has the most amazing voice. And, Idina Menzel (who played Maureen in RENT the movie) played the part of the wicked witch. It was awesome!

AG: I offered to go to the store & then cook for them but they were both like "Oh no! We can't have you do that. You're a guest." Umm Okay. I think that next time I'll take a cooler full of goodies with me, then they can't turn me down.

Flea: Seriously, dancing around on stage AND singing at the same time is not for the over 55 & out of shape crowd. I could work out for the next two years & still not be in as good a shape as I was in at 35. I can barely sing while standing still now, lol. Besides, none of the theatre people even know me any more and the talent in this town would blow your mind.

Daryl said...

I love to drive too and am not a lover of phone chitchat .. come on drive up here and lets go to see the revival of West Side Story or Hair ..

Anonymous said...

Sucks that you had cold crappy weather and couldn't go out and enjoy your mini-vacation! I seriously have never heard of anyone sending a taxi to pick up take out!

My daughter would love Every Little Step, she's a dancing machine.

Unknown said...

WOW!
I feel so badly for your friend losing 'Charles'. It sounds like he was more than just a servant.
And 50 years is a L O N G time, more like FAMILY!
That is a first I've ever heard of a Taxi picking up food! But we're more country folks here!
I'm also sad about your wistoria and other flowers! :(

Mental P Mama said...

I'm sorry about Charles, but that is some funny stuff. Hope they find a new one soon. You are gonna love Edward!

abb said...

Dreams dashed...at least you know they wanted to have you in the show. That must have made you feel a lot better.
Just think, in 10 - 15 years, when you're of the appropriate advanced age you can always try out for those red-hat, or is it purple-hat, girls. What fun!

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs