Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Guest House Project Update... It Has To Quit Raining To Fix That Roof


Okay, so I survived the whole roofing ordeal and things are quickly getting back to normal. The new roof looks fabulous and we had a composite roof put on instead of replacing the wood shingle roof. Not only will this last longer, but it's also less expensive and will lower our insurance.



It turns out that a few of the ceiling beams in the guest house are rotting out, so they sent a man over today who looked at it and says he can repair it. The only downside to this is that he says he's going to have to support the repairs with vertical beams in the middle of the room. Huh? That's going to be odd, but it's apparently the only way they can support the beams in the ceiling without just taking the whole roof off and starting over. Hmmmm... Insurance didn't cover that possibility, so we are going with the patch job. Guess I won't be making any more 8' by 10' floorcloths. Not that I wanted to, but it would have been nice to keep that option open.


Anyway, I threw away 2 whole dumpsters worth of junk and there is more to come, eventually. I just threw away the obvious trash. Once I can go through the boxes, I should be able to consolidate and reduce the amount of boxes by half. If you think I haven't made much progress then click here. I am freaking Wonder Woman!


Looking at the enormous amount of stuff out there, I realize that I really let things get out of control during the time that my MIL and FIL got cancer, went through treatments, and passed away. He was diagnosed with cancer first, then she was diagnosed 6 months later. We let everything go during that time, but it continued after that. When our son went off on his wayward adventure, the stress was killing me and I did nothing but shove more stuff out in the guest house. It's funny how things can overwhelm you and put you in positions you would never otherwise be in. But, it does happen to people you would never suspect. Like me. I was always so organized when the kids were growing up. Losing our best friends, my in-laws, took a huge toll on all of us and the world we live in.


Now, I just really want to get things organized in order to sell this house, but also so that our children don't have to get rid of all the crap once we are gone. I'd prefer that they remember us fondly.


So, our next project will be hiring someone to paint the entire exterior of the house and probably someone else to paint a few rooms inside the house. At the present, I'm having a new rug for the guest bath banded and I'm looking at different kinds of granite to replace the hunter green formica in our kitchen.

I hope to get everything finished before the holidays so we can put the house on the market by then. Our house always looks best when decorated for the holidays. This means you won't be hearing a whole lot from me other than updates, which probably no one cares about except for me...




Still, it will be nice having a chronicle of this endeavor.



Well, I just went out to do some more work and discovered a huge amount of water leaking and put some bowls under the gaping hole in the ceiling. However, it can't get much worse, right? Right? I'm so glad I vacuumed that floor last night so that it would be all clean to get more rain on it today. Ugh!

Dear God: Please don't send us any more rain for a while, please....

13 comments:

snooty daughter said...

Nice work on throwing stuff out :D Keep it up! See you SOON! Love you!

Unknown said...

Wat to go on the progress!!! That is awesome. I know you must feel better even though there are stumbling blocks still to master. Hang in there kiddo...you are doing it for a great reason!

Staci said...

You are one WORKIN' WOMAN! And yes, in response to your last post, those diet pills would come in handy at times....

T said...

WOW - you have been busy!

I've been doing the same (only it's the basement). My reason isn't as great as yours - it's due to watching A&E's "Hoarders". That show FREAKED me out and got my cleaning mode kicked into high gear.

I hope the rain stops - I know you all have been having a hard time with it!

Mental P Mama said...

You have made sooooo much progress! I know you are going to love that townhouse!

Daryl said...

I give you huge props on getting this much done .. it can get so overwhelming its easier to ignore .. did you/have you put a bid in on the townhouse? xo

TheVinylVillager said...

Id ask another builder about this whole center support thing. Surely he can insert within the existing framework a glu lam beam or something that will carry those loads without taking away floor space.

imbeingheldhostage said...

Don't laugh, you ARE wonder woman. And nice way to look on the bright side with the leak on a clean floor.

Rickrack and Pompoms said...

keep up the good work, you have inspired me, I'm going to start with the closets.......

Sjn said...

We downsized to a smaller home with no storage so we HAVE to keep up with the clutter/stuff. There's just no room for anything that's unused.
You will feel so cleansed after all this! Believe me.
All your hard work will pay off very soon! Your house will sell, you'll move to the Townhouse, then all you'll need to do in your free time is golf!

abb said...

I find myself appalled at how much crap I've collected. You and MPM are inspiring me to get stuff under control. You go girl!

imom said...

I love seeing the progress you're making! It's very freeing to throw junk away. Keep up the good work.

noble pig said...

Oh my word you have been working like crazy. Love the updates so we know you are still alive...hang in there!

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs