Monday, April 19, 2010

An Engagement... Texas Style

We have some longtime friends whose daughter is engaged to a charming young man from Ft. Worth, the hometown of her mother as well. All of our children went to the same private school and grew up together during summers at the lake, as they had the house just up the hill from our house. I had a boy and girl and they had three girls, all within a few of years of one another. Those were such magical years in our lives.

Every single summer (when the kids weren't at camp) they would put on *shows* for us that were always a hoot to watch. They were always far more entertaining than TV or anything else. They all learned to water ski together. They rode the tubes behind the boat together, they all got thrown off the water weenie together. Now, the oldest of the brood is getting married. The bride is the kiddo in the middle.

So Saturday was a kitchen/recipe shower (the first of many), which I attended. I was hesitant about going (because I don't get invited so much these days and am never sure how to dress) but, as it turns out, I'm so glad I went! I saw so many people I've missed seeing for a very long time. I wore an off-white shirt-waist dress that has a wide brown belt with brown patent/cork sling-back peep-toe wedges I'd bought over a year ago and had never worn and I felt confident in my *look*.

There was also a cocktail party the same night that included many people I thought I didn't care about seeing. As it turns out, I was so wrong. We had a splendid time and talked to friends we had not seen in years. Sometimes we get so caught up in our own little worlds that we forget how much fun it is to celebrate with friends. To that party I wore an adorable black DKNY sleeveless sheath dress with sheer black stockings and black beaded high heels, with my good jewelry. I also added a black shawl because the weather has still been cool at night.

The funny thing is, every single person I talked to said the same thing as I, in answer to "Where have you been and what have you been doing?" We've all been hanging out at home, getting to know our spouses again, since the kids have gone. That truly cracked me up. I thought I was the only one...

11 comments:

Sjn said...

You look marvelous!

Mental P Mama said...

Fun times!

I Am Woody said...

Glad you had such a wonderful weekend!

We had a pretty big time this weekend too. An old and dear friend had a party and by party, I mean a kick-up-your-heels-until-you-can't-party-anymore party with about 100 friends. old and new. Another friend is a dj - so he brought all his equipment. We danced until 3am!!

scargosun said...

See! This is why I should quit Lottery Yarn. Long story but you made me remember how important it is to catch up with old friends.

Suburban Princess said...

Beautiful!

I cant wait to try those bottles...as if the fun colours, portability and price werent great - the clip!! How perfect! It can clip on the golf bag easy peasy!

Daryl said...

Lovely .. shirtwaists are so very in, dahling, and you can never go wrong with a LBD! Really, Liz, you look lovely.

Green-Eyed Momster said...

You look so beautiful! Where have you been and what have you been doing? ;)

Hugs!!

Marilyn *Pink Martinis and Pearls* said...

So glam but the 'tude it what really makes the outfit! :) xoxo

Diane said...

I'm sure you always look fabulous, Honey!
All the same, I love seeing the picture of you... just to be sure!

Tammy said...

I'm so glad you went, sometimes reconnecting is just what's needed to feel like you are not alone! And you look amazing!

~ Janie ~ said...

I clicked on the picture of the kids to see if the lady in the top picture looks like the child. Nope. But, are you aware that some of those children have blue faces? Camera issues? Smurfitis? Enquiring minds want to know....

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs