Monday, May 3, 2010

Fernando And Felicia Fox Are Officially Back At Their Summer Home...

For the last week, our cat Trouble refuses to go outside via the back doors, only agreeing to go out the front door and sit there on the porch until she comes back in. Hmmmm... I suppose that should have been my first inkling as to the fox family presence. I also haven't seen any squirrels as of late, which is always indicative of the presence of one or more foxes.


Today, Felicia graced us with an appearance which lasted a good 15 to 20 minutes. She looks wonderfully healthy and her coat is nice and shiny, which is always a good indication. My foremost reason for watching her this afternoon was to see if I could determine whether she is still pregnant or not. I can say, without doubt, that Felicia is no longer preggers and I believe she just had her babies this last week. Since they are blind for the first 10 days of life, I won't be seeing them for another week or more.


During the time I spent watching her, she disappeared for a few minutes and the next time I saw her she was devouring a fresh squirrel that she caught on her own. She was at least polite enough to turn her back to the house while doing so. Fortunately, Mr. Snoots was able to catch a couple of shots of her during the *pigging out* process, which I just couldn't do.  Then, I realized that she's obviously nursing her pups because she ate like she was starved. I know she isn't starved because Mr. Snoots tosses a squirrel over the fence to the garden almost daily. Also, she didn't look fat anymore.


In other words, we have fox pups people! This means I need to get my derriere in gear and get that web camera. The problem is, when I start looking at them on the web, I begin to get dazed and confused at the dizzying array of choices. Obviously, I'm going to need professional help. However, if anyone reading this has any suggestions, please feel free to offer them since I now feel pressured for time. I'm thinking I've got 7 days at best, to buy the camera and get it mounted in the garden.


After spending the day doing Google searches for the best outdoor web cameras, I think we might have a winner! Click here. The main problem is that it's more than 75' across the back lawn to the garden fence and most web cams can't reach beyond 50' or 60'. Sure, I could spend $300.00 to $1,000.00 on one that would practically set itself up for me, but I'm not going to do that. Frankly, I'm not willing to go over $100.00 but I still want a decent one. Once I find the right web cam I'll need to figure out how to get it mounted on the fence, overlooking the old garden (where the fox pups will be romping and playing) and how to get it working without going into brain lock over it. And frankly, I'm bound to go into brain lock over the whole thing. It's my normal Modus Operandi.

12 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

Hurry up and get it!

Suburban Princess said...

I cant wait to see the pups!!!
It never occured to me to get an outdoor webcam!

Flea said...

You know Mental P will be all over that. Lauren needs to send you a web cam. :)

I Am Woody said...

Please hurry! We NEED to see those fox pups live:)

Pam said...

Looking forward to seeing Felicia and Fernando's progeny. How exciting.

Daryl said...

I am so not video savvy..

abb said...

This is gonna be good! Can't wait for the cam!

Diane said...

What awesome news that Felicia is back! With fox-lets. You must get a webcam!

imbeingheldhostage said...

How funny that our lives have come down to this... I can't tell you how excited I was to see you had a post up about Felicia :-)

Tammy said...

Great news!! Looking forward to updates.

scargosun said...

oooooooo Babies!!! Yay! Wish I knew something about those cameras but the only one I know about is in my notebook computer and I am limping along with that.

Heather Kerrigan said...

SO glad to see them back. I can't wait to see them playing.

I can't help on the webcam. I love my Flip video camera, but you have to film yourself.

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs