Wednesday, June 16, 2010

It's Official (For Now)...

Although she is still holding out for (at the very least) a transfer to UT-Austin School of Law, SD (Snooty Daughter) is going to attend Southern Methodist University Dedman School Of Law. I find this to be great news because I love Dallas and haven't spent much time there since SD was in high school and we went there every weekend for Club Soccer games, shopping and soccer tournaments. I'm not so sure SD shares my sentiments, but this is the way things have played out, come what may.


So, I'll be flying out to Los Angeles in August to help SD make the move back to Texas. I'm so excited to get her back in the state where she was born! She's been in Hollyweird long enough and now (like Tom Terrific) it's time to come home. Mr. Snoots thinks she could come back on her own but I'm just not comfortable with her making such a long drive alone, while pulling a trailer. So, I'm going out to help her move back anyway. I'll feel ever so much better once she's back in Texas and I swear I'll leave her alone after that. (Yeah, right. Like that's going to happen.)


On our long drive back to Texas we'll be spending the night in Phoenix at The Arizona Biltmore, where I've always wanted to stay. Luckily, prices at hotels all over Arizona are at an all-time bargain rate... little wonder why. Personally, I think it's time for everyone in this country to stand up against illegal immigration. If it continues at the rate it's been going, we'll just end up being an extension of Mexico. Ten years ago when my kids were in middle school, they were the minority because of the massive amount of Latinos. By the time they entered high school, they were once again the majority because something like 70% of the Latinos drop out of school by the time they hit 10th grade. Can you imagine what it must be like now? No wonder private and alternative schools are popping up everywhere. It drags down many a top notch school to have students who are only there because they have to be, by law. 


At any rate, SD will once again be a minority at SMU Dedman Law School because she is a woman. However, I think their students are pretty diverse and evenly representative of a colorful array of races.  Just think, this girl might one day represent someone important in a court of law...


Once we arrive back here (meaning home sweet home), we'll find a few pieces of furniture for her new place, load them in the trailer and then we'll leave for Dallas, where her new apartment awaits. From that point on, it's study, study, study and work, work, work! Our (ex) Galveston friends have been selling off all of their extra furniture from their 2 beach houses and have some nice things for SD to choose from. We're also hoping that hubby's cousin's husband hires her at his Dallas law firm, although if that doesn't happen, we have no doubts SD will find her own niche somewhere. She's great like that and has an incredible work ethic.



She is the light of my life. Prayers that she gets into UT Law are still being accepted and appreciated....

12 comments:

Tammy said...

Yay! That is such exciting news (but I'm still sending "get into UT" thoughts her way). I just love that photo of her, haha! The future of the world is in their hands!

Staci said...

If she should decide to "go rogue" and go "north", I happen to know one of the law professors (and admission counselors) at a "boomin" school. :)

Have a great day, Snooty!

Suburban Princess said...

How exciting!!
And she will have her pick of the men!

Mental P Mama said...

Yay SD!!!! And SMU is a fantastic school!!! But if it's Austin you want, I shall wish it for you;)

Daryl said...

"It drags down many a top notch school to have students who are only there because they have to be, by law."

Sorry but I do not agree.

Marilyn *Pink Martinis and Pearls* said...

Congratulations to your daughter! That is wonderful! Have a safe trip! :) xoxo

Roan said...

Congratulations! I'll shop vicariously through your posts, when you're out at the Galleria or some of those ecclectic little shops scattered around the city. I do miss Dallas. ;(

Diane said...

Here's hoping things work out just as you plan! How wonderful to have your daughter close to home!

scargosun said...

Congratulations to your daughter! We'll need to see lots of pics from your road trip back to the great state.

I love you to pieces so I am not going to comment on the immigration issue...I am also tired. ;)

Beth Dunn said...

You are an amazing mother!
xoxo
Sc

Sjn said...

wherever she goes it's a great accomplishment, congrats to her and to you too Snooty! You are one proud momma and deservedly so!

abb said...

Another chapter in a life well directed and lived. How wonderful for both of you, wherever SD ends up! Congrats!

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs