Friday, June 4, 2010

My Pool Of Pain And Serenity....

I thought I'd show you a picture of my friend's pool, where I swim. Since it's been reaching up around 100 degrees every day this week, the pool is finally not so shockingly cold. Before this week, I've had to slowly adjust  to the chilly water by dipping my feet in first, then sitting on the first step, then slowly going down to the next step... It was really cold!


I start out with a couple of laps doing a breast stroke, then I do the same stroke on my back for 2 laps, then I do a frog kinda thing for a couple of laps. The best thing I've found so far is treading water at the deep end of the pool. It really gives you an amazingly good workout. Then, I have to retreat to my towel for a while to rest. So, I read my book for a bit then go back in to do it all over again, as many times as I can. I'm trying to spend at least 2 hours per day in the pool, hoping this will speed up the process of getting in shape.


I actually do have a reason for all this aside from getting healthier. I'm planning a trip to Italy in the Fall and I want to be able to stay up with the healthy girlfriend I'm going with. She's used to hiking up mountains, so I really have to be able to keep up and there is a lot of walking to be done in Rome and its surrounding areas...

I think I've got just enough time to get into shape. Oh, and Mr. Snoots' 40 year high school reunion is next month, so I have to look good for that.

14 comments:

Sjn said...

ahhh, I just came in from working outside in the heat and humidity... I want to jump right in!

Suburban Princess said...

Wow how cold can it be? Ours is 80 right now and the heater isnt even on...do they have a solar cover?

Pam said...

Oh, do be ready for the hills of Rome...they aren't kidding. I wasn't when I was there 2 years ago, and wish I'd gotten in better walking shape. I swear every road in Rome goes up, at a ninety degree angle! ;) Keep at it, Snooty. I was able to walk a mile every day last week...hoping to do 2 a day this week.

Snooty Primadona said...

SP: Okay, fine. It was like 78.9 degrees. Call me a weenie because I am.

Pam: I've heard the tales & am working toward more stamina. My friend is 5 yrs. younger than me & in really good shape.

Green-Eyed Momster said...

You already look amazing so you can check that off your list.

Thanks for your comment today. I am really struggling. I hope you're right about this passing.

I wish I could hang out at that pool with you. I'm trying to lose my belly fat since my Youngest suggested that I start to lose it and fast!

Hugs!!

Daryl said...

Good luck ... I am sure all that hard work will pay off... and the muscle tone will be awesome

Tammy said...

Oh man! I want to go to Italy! I wouldn't mind swimming in a pool like that everyday too.

Connie said...

I've got an idea to help you out on the fitness part ... take me along. I'm totally out of shape. When the three of us set out hiking you can fall back to my pace and not feel as if you are out of shape. Hell we can just stay behind and enjoy drinks poolside ... perhaps catch a few famous people relaxing. See ~ problem solved. (;

Diane said...

Swimming is such great exercise! I'd swim in a pool if it meant going to Italy! It will be nice to have the stamina to enjoy the sights!

Roan said...

Yes, must look good for Mr. Snoots reunion, and of course, that trip to Italy. Wonder if those Italian guys really do pinch derrieres? Check that out while you're there, would you? ;)

Staci said...

Ah, can you feel the waves of jealousy coming from up north? For both the pool and the trip!

I went to Italy many years ago and it was fantastic! Watch out for young Italian waiters named Mandingo! But that's another story entirely. :)

Heather Kerrigan said...

Swimming is downright tough. 2 hours a day--no way I could do that. You go Snooty!

Queen of Halloween said...

That pool makes me so want to dive right in! It's still far too cold here right now to want to venture to ours, so my aqua-sizing is on hold...;{
Walking is a great tummy tightener...or so I've heard...;}
Keep the motion going no matter what!

abb said...

You have two terrific reasons there!

Wish I was going to Italy too.

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs