Thursday, July 7, 2011

Weddings, Water Wells, Weeping & Skype.... Huh?

Saturday night we'll be attending a *Black Tie* wedding reception at the country club, which has had me in total fashion turmoil. Normally, when invited to a wedding, one must dress for the church as well as the celebratory reception following, which usually means a dressy skirt suit or a strappy cocktail dress with some sort of cover-up for the ceremony at the church. Right? After the invitation arrived I put it up on our bulletin board and made note of it on our big calendar, then forgot about it. Then, one day I started looking a bit closer at the invitation and realized this was just for the reception, stating that it was *Black Tie*, at THE country club.


Apparently, the young couple were joined in holy wedded matrimony with just family present, in some fabulous tropical location (no doubt barefoot), prior to this black tie event. First of all, I've never been to anything during the heat of a West Texas summer that required black tie attire. In the winter, black tie affairs abound. In summer? Like never. I mean, will they have  the air conditioning cranked as low as it will go or what? 


So, in my normal freak-out mode, I began to stress over what to wear. Men just have to wear a tuxedo. No muss, no fuss. No one cares what they look like, right? As women, we're required to determine (without trustworthy help) just what black tie means for us. After searching the internet I'm more confused than ever now.


At first, I was going to wear the dress I'd worn to our daughter's Deb Presentation. I mean, I'd only worn it once. Unfortunately, I'd forgotten how much weight I'd lost since then (SD's sophomore year of college). It's a size 14 and I didn't have time to have it altered to the size 10/12 I'm wearing now. You cannot get anything like this done quickly, in this part of the world. Trust me.


Of course, I then resorted to scouring the internet for a suitable dress, being full length or tea length. Macy's, Nordstrom's, Dillard's, Bloomingdale's, Neiman's, etc. The list went on and I was finding NOTHING. What I mean is that I couldn't find anything suitable for me, whose arms need to be slightly hidden so people don't throw up when they look at me. Seriously. The women (my age) here all look like they are 30, which I can't do, since it would require heavy workouts and massive amounts of plastic surgery. So, I have to work my magic in other ways.


If I thought my normal hot gluing techniques would work, I'd probably go for it but I finally found a dress. It's a gorgeous navy blue "Alex Evenings" dress that looks stunning on me..... I. Think. Actually, when on me, it's off the shoulders since I don't really have any shoulders. Hopefully, I'll feel gorgeous tomorrow night and have a marvelous time.


As yet another perk to my week, the pump for our water well DIED. In 100 plus degree heat. It was several days before the water well guy was able to come repair it. What started out as replacing an old pump, quickly became $3,000.00 worth of new pipe and a list of other items needed to get her up and running again. There goes my my new windows. But I'm not complaining. Not really. Without our water well, we'd be restricted to watering a mere 2 days of the week in this drought that just won't go away. Watering only 2 days of the week in 100 degree plus temperatures would surely finish off what little we have left. So, that was fun.  Or. Not.



Then yesterday my week really took a nosedive when SD left for London and Oxford Law School, to have a wonderful experience and get some important credits in a short amount of time. I'm sure this will look outstanding on her future resume', right? Besides, she's also taking a side jaunt to Spain with friends she intends to *hook up* with. She has another side trip planned as well but I can't remember where she's going on that one. I wasn't there to see her off on her overseas flight (Dallas is a 5-1/2 hour drive from here) but I still bawled like a baby. I'm not quite sure why. I thought I was enjoying my *empty nest*. Perhaps I just wish I could be a little mouse in her pocket and go with her; keep her safe. But as parents, we can't really do that without totally screwing them up ruining their lives, can we?


So, my darling daughter, I wish you well. Stay safe. Study hard. Know that we will always love and adore you. Enjoy your half dozen Genie Bras. Come home to Texas when you're finished with your Oxford law studies.


As per your instructions, our new *Computer Guru* came here today and installed the Skype you said I needed. I can hardly wait to use it and see/talk to you. I already miss you and everything about you, but I know you'll have the experience of a lifetime, especially since you've already been to Europe once before and pretty much know *the ropes*. I. Am. So. Proud. Of. You. I hope you get to play some soccer as well. They might even teach you some new moves...




You are the shining light in my life. Whatever shall I do without you to talk to on the phone for so long? God Speed, my dear daughter. Have. The. Time. Of. Your. Life....



I feel like such a ridiculous sap of a mother but thank you for letting me live vicariously through you and your exciting life, I've always wished I'd experienced. You're my favorite person in the world and it's been one helluva ride. Thank you.

5 comments:

Roan said...

Okay, sniff, sniff, sniffle, sniff. You made me cry real tears. Now I'm going to have to plan a trip to Nashville to visit my son. I don't get to see him as much as daughter. By the way, LOVE the dress. Perfect choice!

Snooty Primadona said...

I swear, I'm still an emotional mess. Must have something to do with hormones. Or not.

Tammy said...

I hate to think what kind of wreck I will be when my daughter goes on adventures after high school! Hopefully she will stay in state for college, but one never knows what will happen between now and then!

That dress is gorgeous and I'm sure you will rock it!

Sjn said...

I.Love.that.dress! Can't wait to see pics from the big night, but you couldn't have chosen a more perfect dress! Tres chic mon ami!
What a wonderful opportunity for SD. Ahh to be young and free to do as you please! A great start to a promising future for your daughter. You are right to be proud!

Bodacious Boomer said...

What are Genie bras?

And with Skype you'll hardly know she's gone- kinda- if you don't think about it to much.

Just remember there's a small delay between the video and the audio and you'll be fine.

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs