Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My New Exercise Toy... One More In A Long Line of Failures

Over the years I think I've bought just about everything that has ever been offered for exercising at home. I've had the Step System, which lasted one session before I realized I hated it.


I've also had a number of different exercise cycles, none of which I liked enough to use more than twice. I also had a rowing machine, which I loved, but it broke and couldn't be repaired. I had another *method* that I can't remember the name of, but it consisted of a slick surfaced mat, cloth booties and a video. You skated back & forth on it and I liked it for a while. Then I didn't like it anymore.


I've also had a ridiculous amount of workout tapes like Jane Fonda's series, The Skiing Workout (which damn near killed me), and yes, I even bought a Richard Simmons called "Sweating To The Oldies". Once I saw it, I couldn't imagine what I must have been thinking. I laughed so hard I couldn't do the exercises. Then, I bought a Pilates Set but it was just too damned boring and moved too slow. I did watch it all the way through one time, but didn't exercise. Just watched. I think I fell asleep, so it did have one good purpose. Inducing sleep. Not great for exercise.

I used to race-walk for a couple of years but got bored with going alone. I also walked miles and miles and miles over the years. Then I went through the bicycling stage, which I really got into for a while. Until the daily temps hit triple digits. Not wanting to die, I gave it up for the summer and never picked it up again.


My last foray into the world of exercise was The Torso Track (otherwise known as The Torture Track). We all know how miserably that turned out. Six months later, I think I'm finally healed from that fiasco. What happens when I finally heal? Yes, you guessed it. I always decide to try something new in an effort to save my poor aging body from complete & utter ruin.


So, in sticking with the idiot purchases I've made in the past, I now have a new exercise toy. You know how when you're on an airplane and looking at the Sky Mall magazine, and everything in it looks to be something you desperately need? Uh-Huh. Well, once I saw this little baby, I just had to have it.


Let me formally introduce you to my latest attempt at getting in shape:









Time will tell whether this little machine does what I want it to do. However, it fits under my computer desk, which makes it convenient. I did 10 miles on it yesterday and so far, I actually like it. I also did 5 miles with my arms. This may just turn out to be the thing I've looked for all these years. Like I said, time will tell.

18 comments:

Flea said...

Oh very cool! I sold my elliptical yesterday. Here's to the graveyard of exercise equipment!

That Janie Girl said...

Can I come try it out? Then I can just SEE if I want one instead of buying one and relegating it to the "pile"....as it were.

Mental P Mama said...

That does look interesting...and you can do your cardio while you blog. Did you get sweaty?

Snooty Primadona said...

Yup, I got sweaty, but it doesn't take much for me to sweat. It did get my heart rate up, which is good.

Janie, girlfriend, you can come by & try it out anytime you want. I'm thinking I might really like this after all. It was only $100.00 plus shipping. It was their mid-price model. They have two others... one cheaper and one more expensive.

Even Mr. Snooty (he who has never exercised) likes it, so I may get him one for the office.

brneyedgal967 said...

Ugh. Did you say you got sweaty? That makes it an automatic "NO" for me.

Tai Chi - I can do that without getting sweaty, if I could keep from laughing during the poses.

Anonymous said...

Exercise while sitting down? I'm in !!

#1

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun. It's so hard to find something good. I've found walking with my girlfriends has been the best exercise and psychiatry all at the same time.

imbeingheldhostage said...

yep, I think I love you.. somewhere around the part where you WATCHED a pilates video all the way through I decided you were my soul mate. It's unfortunate we're both female though :-(

Let me know if this works-- I'm at my computer desk an awful lot....

Treasia Stepp said...

Good for you Snooty. Hang with it and keep us posted. Not that I will ever get one mind you, but curious to see if it does work. LOL. I am fixing to join a gym and fitness center in a couple of weeks. Go work out before official work day. Mostly because they have a pool and water aerobics.

I Am Woody said...

I've given up - I think I'll just be fat!!

Desiree Eaglin said...

let me know how it works out for ya!

elizasmom said...

Hmmm. You haven't posted since Wednesday. Given your past history, I am growing worried that you have been felled in a freak Ennesy-Weensy Skymall Exercycle accident.

Pleasing Procrasinator said...

I love the fact that you feel asleep watching your pilates program. That seems to be my choice to exercise..Hehe. Fierst quit smoking then maybe I can handle more than five minutes of a work-out. I do like the sitting down idea tho.

Roan said...

You had me laughing out loud this morning. Hubby no longer suspects I'm loony, he is certain. I've tried them all, and my experiences were much like yours. Daughter recently gave me Cindy Crawford's first exercise video, which is now out on DVD if you're interested. I watched it once and decided she was trying to kill me off early! Keep us updated on this new contraption, it might be the miracle we all hope for. BJ

Insane Mama said...

I used one of those when I had physical therapy for my shoulder, it was a great workout for the arms as well as the legs.

J'Ollie Primitives said...

hee hee, gives new meaning to the phrase "sit-n-spin" doesn't it?

Lynn - the piggy bank painter said...

Oooooh, that looks like the perfect exercise machine. I've been hoping for a pedal powered computer, but this would work too : )

Have you entered to win Petunia Pig?

Lynellen said...

I have one of these too! I like it. I use it while watching TV.

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs